Well… I got hit with this meme tonight just before heading out to the PT/3rd shift gig and it’s right up my alley so I’m running with it.
Tagged by: the “PodFather” (a.k.a. EJFlavors)
“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring summer. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.”
If you know me, then you’ll know that most of what follows is gonna be old, old school and have at least a portion of Jazz in it:
- Save Your Love For Me – Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley [I've been on a real heavy Nancy Wilson kick for the past couple of months. Look for an "all Nancy" RIBS TPTD in the near future]
- Shotgun – Jr. Walker and The All Stars [One of Poppa Grundy's favorites; this one was the kickoff cut on my recent mix, "Songs For My Father #2"]
- Cafe Regio’s – Isaac Hayes [Next to the title cut, probably my favorite song off of the "Shaft" soundtrack]
- Shake – Sam Cooke [now this cat *IS* Pop G's fav singer; dedicated this one to him in the "Color Him Father" podcast collaboration mix]
- Mr. Bojangles – Sammy Davis, Jr. [I don't care IF the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did the popular version (1970) that most people know (the song was originally written and first performed by Jerry Jeff Walker in 1968), this is SAMMY's SONG! No one sings and/or performs this song like Sammy]
- Let’s Stay Together – Jimmy McGriff [beautiful instrumental version of this Al Green classic]
- Stellar Fungk – Slave [man, I LUV this tune! Had forgotten all about it until I was pulling songs for the B.B. & Q Band, Slave & Aurra mix I did last month]
Well there you go. Hmmm, pretty diverse list now that I look at it. Ahhhh, but that’s the beauty of music you can find good stuff in all different genres. OK, time to hit up some folks and see what THEY are listening to!