RIBS TPTD: "Blues Month", part 2 – Blues Women…
Filed under: Blues Month, RIBS, Triple Play Thurs-Day, blues, podcasts/mixes
OK, time for part 2 of our journey through the blues here on RIBS!
Hopefully you were by here last week and know that I’ve designated October "Blues Month" around here. Last week’s mix featured a variety of some of my favorite blues songs and/or singers. This week I wanted to shine the spotlight on the women of blues and let you experience the blues through their eyes.
I was speaking to one of my co-workers a while ago asking them if they liked and/or knew anything about the blues. I remember them saying, "Not really, except that it’s mostly all sad." Well, nothing could be further from the truth and I’m going to prove it with this mix. AAMOF, I started to subtitle this mix…
LET THE JUKE JOINT JUMP!
…because if you are not tempted to get out of your seat while listening to this collection of ladies ’sang’, well, I just don’t know what is wrong with ya!
The blues ladies I’m gracing you with today are:
- Etta James (still going strong)
- Koko Taylor (R.I.P., d. June 3, 2009)
- Denise LaSalle (love her sassy lyrics and singing)
- Shemekia Copeland (daughter of Texas blues guitarist and singer Johnny Copeland)
- Ruth Brown
- Francine Reed
- Big Mama Thornton (She was the first to record the hit song "Hound Dog" in 1952)
- Susan Tedeschi (reminds me of an edgier version of Bonnie Raitt)
Alright. Are you ready? These ladies have big hearts, big voices and tales of love’s heartache and happiness that can only be described as… "the blues". Time to taste the music and satisfy your soul as we present to you…
Playlist: (song – artist – album [time])
- Shakey Ground – Etta James – Seven Year itch [3:18]
- Big Brand New Religion – Shemekia Copeland – Never Going back [3:55]
- Blues Is My Business – Etta James – Let’s Roll[3:33]
- Let The Juke Joint Jump – Koko Taylor – The Best [6:14]
- Little By Little – Susan Tedeschi - The Best of Susan Tedeschi [3:48]
- Bump And Grind – Denise LaSalle – Right Place, Right Time [3:37]
- Ice Water In Your Veins – Ruth Brown – Good Day For The Blues [3:36]
- One Monkey (Don’t Stop No Show) – Francine Reed – Essential Women In Blues, Disk 2 [3:43]
- Hey Bartender – Koko Taylor – The Earthshaker [2:54]
- Strongest Weakness – Etta James – Let’s Roll [4:53]
- Treat Your Man Like A Baby – Denise LaSalle – Right Place, Right Time [4:10]
- River’s Invitation – Shemekia Copeland – Never Going Back [3:40]
- Standing On The Corner – Ruth Brown – Miss Rhythm [3:13]
- A Man Size Job – Denise LaSalle – On The Loose[2:50]
- Old Weakness – Etta James – Let’s Roll [3:12]
- Hangin’ By A Shoestring – Ruth Brown – Good Day For The Blues [3:14]
- I Don’t Want No Leftovers – Koko Taylor – Jump For Joy [3:59]
- Don’t Mess With My Man – Denise LaSalle – A Lady In The Street [4:43]
- Better Not Touch – Shemekia Copeland – The Soul Truth [3:24]
- I’m Feeling Alright – Big Mama Thornton – Big Mama Thornton with the Muddy Waters Blues Band [3:01]
- Married To The Blues – Shemekia Copeland – Turn The Heat Up! [7:12]
Have you missed any of the RIBS mixes we’ve posted? If you have there is now an easy way to catch up on what we’ve been up to. Just go check out the new RIBS Archives Page to see a very easy to read listing of every post (and music mix) we’ve uploaded to the site.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.